Do I Need a Des Moines Cyber Crime Lawyer?
Cyber crime is relatively new compared to other crimes, which is why you cannot hire just any attorney to represent you. You must hire an attorney who has significant experience handling cyber crime cases and how understands the ins and outs of the law. Fortunately, you have just found that attorney here at Herting Law, PLLC.
Examples of Cyber Crimes
In most cases, cyber crime involves the theft of another’s assets through hacking into their computer. However, there are a wide array of additional crimes that may classify as cyber crimes, some of which have even more insidious intent. That being said, some of the most common cyber crimes that our firm deals with are as follows:
- Phishing scams
- Identity theft
- Internet fraud
- Revenge porn
Misdemeanor & Felony Computer Crime Penalties in Iowa
There are various penalties you may face for committing a cyber or computer crime in the state of Iowa. Some of the consequences of computer crime convictions are as follows:
- If you are caught stealing data or services worth more than $10,000, you will face a Class C felony.
- If you are caught stealing data or services worth between $1,000 and $10,000, you will face a Class D felony.
- For the theft of data or services valued between $500-$1,000, you will face aggravated misdemeanor charges.
- For the theft of data or services valued between $200-$500, you will face serious misdemeanor charges.
- For the theft of data or services valued under $200, you will face simple misdemeanor charges.
Clearly, the penalties for a computer crime conviction can go a long way, which is why you need an attorney who is ready to provide you with the aggressive legal representation you need.
Contact a Des Moines Cyber Crime Lawyer
The bottom line is that if you’ve been charged with a cyber crime, you need an experienced attorney on your side who can work to fight your charges through every step of the legal process ahead. Contact Herting Law, PLLC today to schedule your initial consultation with our knowledgeable firm.