Des Moines Criminal Defense Lawyer | Protecting Your Rights
The criminal justice system in America is maintained by overworked, overburdened, and underfunded police officers and prosecutors. Those economic realities mean that police, investigators, and prosecutors don’t always follow every lead, pursue every witness statement, properly collect evidence, or conduct field sobriety tests to the standards required by the state. At Herting Law, we carefully consider any evidence against our client while reviewing the conduct of police officers and detectives. Our attorneys identify departures from proper protocols, constitutional guarantees, and forensic best practices to ensure that your rights are protected through every facet of the legal process.
Our Legal Services
For years, the experienced Des Moines criminal defense lawyers here at Herting Law, PLLC have effectively guided our clients through a wide range of criminal matters, including the following:
- Assault: Assault charges are incredibly serious, and oftentimes, what seems like a simple fight between two people results in one or both of those people spending time in jail on assault convictions. In other cases, people can be charged with assault simply for defending themselves or another person. No matter your circumstances, if you are currently facing assault or battery charges in Iowa, you need an attorney who is ready to fight for you.
- Cyber Crimes: Now that we are well into the 21st century, cyber crimes occur every single day, and on a massive scale, and we do not expect them to go away anytime soon. If you’ve been charged with a cyber crime of any sort, you’ve come to the right place. Our skilled legal team is well-versed in the laws surrounding internet crime and we are here to put that knowledge to work for you.
- Domestic Violence: As you can imagine, domestic violence charges can ruin a family and a person’s reputation. When someone is accused of domestic violence, there is a very good chance that on top of facing criminal penalties, their entire social circle will know. What’s worse, in many cases, people are wrongfully accused of domestic violence. Though it’s hard to imagine someone would flat out lie about such a thing, it happens, and if you are being accused of domestic violence, you need aggressive legal representation on your side.
- Drug Crimes: Drug-related crimes are among the most common cases we handle. Whether you were charged with possession, distribution, cultivation, or otherwise, it is in your best interests to hire a seasoned Des Moines criminal defense lawyer who understands the intricacies of drug charges and who can work to have those charges mitigated, and, in the best cases, dropped altogether.
- Gun Crimes: Our firm believes in the Second Amendment, and all too often, innocent citizens’ Second Amendment rights are violated. Our job as attorneys is to defend those rights and our clients. Regardless of the circumstances of your crime, you can rest assured that your case is in good hands.
- OWI: OWI charges, also known as Operating While Intoxicated, deal with the potential penalties an individual may face for operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. An OWI conviction can affect a person’s life significantly. For example, you may face a license suspension, high fines, and even jail time, among other penalties. Further, the consequences you may face only become more severe for each subsequent offense, which is why you absolutely need an attorney as soon as possible if this is your second or third OWI offense. Our firm is here to do everything in our power to assist you.
- Theft Crimes: Theft is a blanket term that describes a wide array of offenses. Theft crimes are broken down into five different classes, and depending on the severity of the crime allegedly committed (as well as the dollar amount allegedly stolen) you can face a range of penalties. Herting Law has handled countless theft crime cases over the years, and we can put our knowledge and experience to work for you. Whether you’ve been charged with shoplifting or robbery, you can depend on us.
- White-Collar Crimes: As you may know, anyone can commit a crime, regardless of their social status or position in life. White-collar crimes, such as embezzlement, business fraud, and more come with very serious penalties, and if you’ve been accused of any sort of white-collar crime, you must hire an attorney with the resources and means needed to effectively defend you.
Contact a Des Moines Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you have been arrested or are even currently a subject of a criminal investigation, it is vital that you talk to the qualified Des Moines criminal defense attorneys at Herting Law, PLLC before speaking with police or prosecutors. Any innocent mistake or inaccurate recollection offered to investigators can be profoundly harmful to efforts to preserve your freedom. By hiring Herting Law, you send a clear message that your freedom will not be taken from you. Contact us today so you can tell us your story and we can begin mounting the best defense possible on your behalf.