What are the three degrees of misdemeanor assault charges in Iowa?
In most cases, individuals who are facing assault charges in Iowa are looking at a misdemeanor. The three degrees of misdemeanor assault charges are as follows:
- Simple Misdemeanor Assault: Simple misdemeanor assault charges are punishable by up to 30 days in jail and a potential $105-$855 fine.
- Serious Misdemeanor Assault: When an assault results in serious physical injury or mental illness, this is known as a serious misdemeanor assault. When an assault is committed against a protected employer or is classified as a hate crime, this is also known as a serious misdemeanor assault. Serious misdemeanor assault charges can be punishable by up to one year in jail and a potential $430-$2560 fine.
- Aggravated Misdemeanor Assault: Individuals may be charged with aggravated misdemeanor assault if they either intended to cause serious injury to another but did not, committed an act of assault against a protected employee, or if their assault is considered a hate crime and caused physical injuries or mental illness in the victim. An aggravated misdemeanor assault charge may also be prompted if the individual exhibited a deadly weapon in the course of committing assault and they can prove that they did not use or intend to use the weapon. Aggravated misdemeanor assault charges are punishable by up to two years of jail and a potential $855-$8,540 fine.
What are the potential defenses against assault charges?
There are various routes of defense that an attorney may take regarding assault charges. The defense method that will be used will primarily depend on the circumstances of the alleged assault. The following are the most common methods of defense used against assault charges:
- You were defending another person who was being assaulted.
- You were defending your property from a threat.
- You were acting in self-defense.
If you have any further questions about how our Johnson County criminal defense lawyer can assist you with your assault charges, do not hesitate to contact the tour firm today. We will fight for your rights in court.
Contact Our Firm
Herting Law, PLLC, is an Iowa-based law firm that has experience in all criminal matters, including OWIs, drug charges, gun crimes, theft, assault, and more. If you need an estate planning lawyer, our firm can guide you. Whatever the situation, Herting Law, PLLC has you covered.