How is robbery defined?
Robbery is defined as forcible stealing. For example, if someone uses physical force or threatens to use physical force against another party while committing an act of larceny, this is considered a robbery.
What are the penalties of a robbery charge in Iowa?
If you are facing robbery charges, it is essential that you reach out to an experienced criminal defense attorney. Some of the penalties you may face include the following:
- First-degree robbery: Class B felony punishable by up to 25 years in prison. Being convicted of a first-degree robbery has a requirement that those who are convicted must serve between 50%-70% of the 25 year sentence.
- Second-degree robbery: Punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine up to $13,660.
How is burglary defined?
Burglary is defined as unlawfully entering or remaining on a property with the intent to commit a crime within the property. Iowa courts will still pointedly pursue charges against all those accused of burglary, though this act generally lacks a violent aspect.
What are the penalties of a burglary charge in Iowa?
If you are convicted of a burglary charge in Iowa, you may face the following penalties:
- Class D felonies: maximum five-year prison sentence and a fine of $750 to $7,500.
- Class C felonies: maximum 10-year prison sentence and a fine of $1,000 to $10,000.
- Class B felonies: maximum 25-year prison sentence.
- Simple misdemeanors: maximum of 30 days of jail time and a fine of $65 to $625.
- Serious misdemeanors: maximum of one year’s jail time and a fine of $315 to $1,875.
- Aggravated misdemeanors: maximum of two years of incarceration and a fine of $625 to $6,250.
Contact Our Firm
Herting Law, PLLC, is an Iowa-based law firm designed to help with all of your legal needs. If you need a Des Moines criminal defense lawyer, our firm has significant experience in all criminal matters, including OWIs, drug charges, gun crimes, theft, assault, and more. If you need an estate planning lawyer, our firm can guide you through it all, including drafting wills, trusts, and the administration of your estate. We have years of experience with immigration, business, contract, and family law matters. Whatever the situation, Herting Law, PLLC has you covered.