What Are the Potential Consequences of a Record?
A criminal record can possibly have an impact on any of the following:
- Child custody arrangements: It is possible for your former spouse and the court to use your criminal record to prove you are an unfit parent or even a danger to your child.
- Getting/keeping a job: The types of jobs available to those with a criminal record is limited as they require applicants to check “yes” on a job application for being convicted of a crime. Employees who are convicted of a crime can also be fired from their current job as a result of these charges.
- Future criminal penalties: If you have committed a crime more than once, it is possible to face worse penalties for each new crime.
- Immigration status: Individuals with a criminal record may be deported or prevented from becoming future citizens.
Unfortunately, the options for expunging or sealing a criminal record in Iowa are limited. However, many non-conviction records can be expunged. Your record may qualify for expungement if you satisfy any of the following factors:
- The conviction was for an eligible alcohol-related offense
- After two years, and if your record has been clean for these two years, you may petition to have the related record expunged. This rule does not apply to driving under the influence.
- You completed probation and obtained deferred judgment at the time of your conviction
- If all charges against you were dropped or you were found not guilty of the offense, your record may be eligible for expungement if you have paid your court costs and fees and you have waited to apply for 180 days from the date of your acquittal or the dismissal of your case.
You also have the option to request that your record be corrected if your Iowa criminal record contains errors.
Contact Our Firm
Herting Law, PLLC, is an Iowa-based law firm designed to help with all of your legal needs. If you need a Des Moines criminal defense lawyer, our firm has significant experience in all criminal matters, including OWIs, drug charges, gun crimes, theft, assault, and more. If you need an estate planning lawyer, our firm can guide you through it all, including drafting wills, trusts, and the administration of your estate. We have years of experience with immigration, business, contract, and family law matters. Whatever the situation, Herting Law, PLLC has you covered.