What is Iowa’s speeding law?
To avoid speeding, it is important to understand Iowa’s basic speed law requires. The following are the state’s listed requirements:
- Motorists are required to drive at a “careful and prudent speed not greater than nor less than is reasonable and proper, having due regard to the traffic, surface, and width of the highway and of any other conditions then existing.”
- Drivers must reduce their speed as appropriate when approaching the following:
- Crossings, curves, hillcrests
- When other road or weather conditions warrant the reduction
- Motorists must always drive at a safe speed depending on the circumstances.
What are Iowa’s absolute speed limits?
Iowa’s absolute speed limit law is very simple. When an absolute speed limit is marked at 50 miles per house and you are caught driving faster than the listed speed, you have violated the law. Iowa’s absolute speed limits are as follows unless otherwise posted:
- 20 miles per hour in business districts
- 25 miles per hour in residential districts
- 25 miles per hour in school zones
- 45 miles per hour in suburban districts
- 65 miles per hour on fully controlled-access, divided, multilane highways
- 70 miles per hour on interstate highways
- 55 miles per hour on other roadways
What are the penalties for a speeding ticket in Iowa?
In Iowa, speeding is considered a simple misdemeanor which comes with the following fines:
- $20 for exceeding the speed limit: no more than five miles per hour
- $40 for exceeding the speed limit: more than five but no more than ten miles per hour
- $80 for exceeding the speed limit: more than ten but no more than 15 miles per hour
- $90 for exceeding the speed limit: more than 15 but no more than 20 miles per hour
- $100 plus $5 for each mile per hour in excess of 20 miles per hour over the speed limit
- $100 for exceeding the speed limit in school zones
- Drivers caught going over 10 miles more than the speed limit may face up to 30 days in jail and/or $65 to $625 in fines
Contact Our Firm
Herting Law, PLLC, is an Iowa-based law firm designed to help with all of your legal needs. If you need a Des Moines criminal defense lawyer, our firm has significant experience in all criminal matters, including OWIs, drug charges, gun crimes, theft, assault, and more. If you need an estate planning lawyer, our firm can guide you through it all, including drafting wills, trusts, and the administration of your estate. Whatever the situation, Herting Law, PLLC has you covered.